Collegiate School seeks a energetic and committed educator to serve as a 1st Grade Assistant Teacher. This is a part-time, non-benefited faculty position.
General responsibilities include:
- Support the Lead Teacher in teaching Lower School students using developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Help establish a climate of respect for each child as an individual in a classroom community
- Work with students individually, in small groups and as a whole class
- Be familiar with the approaches of the curriculum including language and literacy development, mathematics and project-based learning
- Perform routine classroom administrative tasks, like taking attendance and taking students to resource classes
- Participate in all required School events which are occasionally beyond regular school hours
- Participate in Admission Open Houses and speak about the program with prospective parents
- Supervise lunch, recess and carpool as required
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- Teaching experience with elementary age students
- Knowledge of current best practices in elementary instruction and PBL activities
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction
- Ability to inspire students’ creativity and critical thinking
- Enthusiasm for professional growth
- Ability to support the grade level’s program to reflect the School’s values and culture
- A Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification in Early Childhood Education or Elementary is preferred.
- Strong commitment to learn about and support each student
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments.
- Proven cross cultural competency skills demonstrating self awareness, awareness of others and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging in the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to a servant leadership model focusing on the growth and development of the team to successfully fulfill shared goals.
- Understands the big picture and handles areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with the School’s mission and values. Offers assistance within the office especially during busy times.
- Relates to the Collegiate community including faculty, staff, students, parents and applicants in a cooperative manner.
- Meets deadlines, demonstrates effective use of time and handles multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Understands the need for growth and is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
It is critical that candidates demonstrate a commitment to the School’s Core Values and Mission
Personal integrity and devotion to the truth, which make one trustworthy, forthright, responsible and fair.
LOVE OF LEARNING
A creative spirit that promotes intellectual and personal growth through exploration, inquiry and openness to change.
A sustained commitment to meeting high standards of character, achievement and personal accountability.
Fundamental regard for the dignity and worth of each individual.
A commitment to responsive and compassionate citizenship and service on campus, in the local community and in the broader world.
Who we are
Collegiate School is a co-educational, independent day school located in Henrico County, within 20 minutes of downtown Richmond, Virginia, for students in Junior Kindergarten through 12th grade. For more than 100 years, Collegiate has nurtured inquisitive thinkers, responsible citizens, and compassionate leaders. Grounded in the values that have sustained it over the course of more than a century, Collegiate provides its nearly 1,700 students with an engaging academic environment dedicated to preparing them for a globally connected and changing world.
The essence of Collegiate School is the richness of relationships among students, faculty, parents, administrators, and alumni in a dynamic learning community with high personal and academic expectations. This exceptional educational environment enables students to develop their potential for intellectual growth, leadership, and service.
Collegiate School is well-regarded for developing students into citizens who lead, serve and shape the world. We do so with the help of a caring faculty and staff who also have opportunities to lead, serve and shape the world, through the young lives they touch.
Below are just a few examples of some of the great advantages of working at Collegiate:
- Excellent professional development opportunities for faculty and staff
- Collaborative working environment
- A rich employee benefits package (which includes free lunch!)
- Opportunities for growth and leadership
- An environment that fosters creative and innovative instruction
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, pregnancy or related pregnancy condition, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, traits historically associated with race, including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks and twists, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications, and skills.