Middle School Spanish Teacher, Beginning 2021-2022 Academic Year
Collegiate School seeks an energetic, experienced and committed teacher with a passion for students and teaching Spanish. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching middle school children with proven success in connecting the content to students’ innate inquisitiveness and curiosity. Ideally, candidates will have the versatility to teach Spanish from 5th Grade through 8th Grade, with comfort teaching through Level I.
Middle School teachers inspire students’ love of learning by providing a developmentally appropriate environment where students explore, play, discover and flourish. This position will use the curriculum to: encourage the social, physical, emotional and intellectual development of students; enrich the daily experience of each child through creative and innovative activities; and maintain strong relationships with students, parents and colleagues so that collaboration is the foundation for all interaction. This position could also include serving as an advisor to a group of students. A successful candidate will also serve as an activity leader or coach in our athletic program.
General responsibilities include:
- Fostering a climate of respect for each child as an individual in an intentionally inclusive community.
- Creating and executing well-designed, meaningful lesson plans, mindful of best practices of teaching and learning including inquiry-based models.
- Maintaining a safe, healthy and inviting learning space.
- Collaborating with other teachers to plan and implement lessons.
- Planning and implementing activities that develop self-esteem and social skills.
- Communicating effectively with parents about student progress.
- Participating in professional development opportunities that grow one’s teaching.
- Serving on committees and engaging in professional group work as necessary.
- Supervising lunch, recess, carpool and other duties as required.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably a Master's degree or Virginia teaching certification
- Demonstrated experience in Middle School Teaching
- A minimum of 3 years of experience teaching
- Knowledge of current best practices in Middle School Spanish instruction
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction
- Ability to inspire students' love of learning and critical thinking
- Interest in broad participation in school life and culture
- Enthusiasm for professional growth and academic excellence
- Strong commitment to students with varied learning styles
- Exhibits solid understanding of how data is collected, generated, and used by the School
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. We seek professionals to uphold and advance our mission to create a diverse and inclusive community of learners committed to a challenging and supportive educational experience that will foster the intellectual, moral, emotional and physical development of each student. With our core values of honor, love of learning, excellence, respect and community, we develop minds that seek and hearts that serve. Our exceptional faculty and staff not only deliver preeminent programs but prepare the next generation of inquisitive thinkers, responsible citizens and compassionate leaders.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.