Collegiate School is seeking a Custodian to work in our Facilities department. The Custodian is primarily responsible for completing the daily cleaning, buffing, refinishing of restrooms, lounges, offices, classrooms and corridors in accordance with standard operating procedures of the Department. Along with floor care responsibilities, this position is required to fill in as a Custodian to ensure cleanliness of all buildings and spaces as needed to maintain and improve the campus facilities. This position is designated as Essential Personnel and may be required to report to work when students are not learning on campus and/or when School is closed. This is a full-time benefited position.
General responsibilities include:
- Burnishing/buffing of hard surface floors.
- Light extraction, deep extraction, spot removing from carpets.
- Moving waste from outside of all buildings to dumpsters.
- Deep scrubbing/Stripping and refinishing of hard surface floors.
- Maintain equipment for cleanliness, maintain correct water levels in batteries, maintain correct levels of oil in engines and report all repairs needed.
- Observe and report the need for furniture or other building fixture repairs.
- Remain up-to-date and informed as to current best practices of job-related functions.
- Ensure all doors and windows, in the designated work area, are locked or unlocked as scheduled and report all suspicious activities to management/security.
- Comply with OSHA safety rules and regulations, and use appropriate P.P.E.
- Be available to work weekend and/or weekday shifts.
- Perform other necessary Physical Plant duties, as assigned.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- 3 years of experience as a Floor Technician in an educational or commercial environment.
- Demonstrated ability to operate various types of floor care equipment.
- Excellent reading, writing and oral comprehension skills required (including proper English, punctuation, grammar rules, etc.) Specifically, ability to read manuals and follow safety instructions.
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills, with attention to clarity and detail.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- High School Diploma.
- Demonstrates cross cultural competence.
- Manual coordination including finger dexterity, eye/hand/foot coordination, able to distinguish between colors, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, depth perception and hearing.
- Must be able to lift, lower, carry, push and pull objects up to 50lbs unassisted.
- Must be able to stand, climb, bend, stoop and crouch for extended periods of time.
- May be subjected to extreme heat and cold temperatures.
- Will be subjected to motor and/or machine noise.
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. We seek professionals to uphold and advance our mission to create a diverse and inclusive community of learners committed to a challenging and supportive educational experience that will foster the intellectual, moral, emotional and physical development of each student. With our core values of honor, love of learning, excellence, respect and community, we develop minds that seek and hearts that serve. Our exceptional faculty and staff not only deliver preeminent programs but prepare the next generation of inquisitive thinkers, responsible citizens and compassionate leaders.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.