Kindergarten Assistant Teacher (70% FTE), Beginning 2020-2021 Academic Year
Collegiate School seeks an energetic and committed educator to serve as a Kindergarten Assistant. This is a part-time, non-benefited faculty position (70% FTE).
Responsibilities will include:
- Support the Lead Kindergarten Teacher in teaching 5-6 year old students using developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Help establish a climate of respect for each child as an individual in a classroom community
- Work with students individually, in small groups and as a whole class
- Be familiar with the approaches of the curriculum including language and literacy development, mathematics and project-based learning
- Perform routine classroom administrative tasks
- Participate in all required School events which are occasionally beyond regular school hours
- Participate in Admission Open Houses and speak about the program with prospective parents
- Supervise lunch, recess and carpool as required
Qualities of a successful candidate will include:
- Early childhood teaching experience
- Knowledge of current best practices in elementary instruction and PBL activities
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction
- Ability to inspire students’ creativity and critical thinking
- Enthusiasm for professional growth
- Ability to support the Kindergarten’s program to reflect the School’s value and culture
- A Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification in Early Childhood Education is preferred.
- Strong commitment to learn about and support each student
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. The School is a community of learners committed to seeking and welcoming students, faculty and staff who represent the multicultural community and world in which we live. We believe that the education we offer in our school is greatly enhanced when many traditions, backgrounds, and perspectives are given expression in school activities. We aspire to create an inclusive environment that promotes engaged citizenship and encouragescompassionate leadership. Our concept of diversity and multiculturalism is dynamic and serves a vision at Collegiate where all members of the community find in our school a sense of belonging and a supportive place to reach their full potential.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and copies of unofficial transcripts with the online application.
Collegiate School is an equal opportunity employer.