Lower School Lead Teacher, Beginning 2020-2021 Academic Year
Collegiate School is seeking a Lead Teacher to work in our Lower School. The Lead Teacher will inspire students’ love of learning by providing a developmentally appropriate environment where students learn, grow, discover and flourish. This position has full responsibility for teaching students the developmentally appropriate skills to encourage the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of students; enrich the daily experience of each child through creative and innovative activities; and maintain strong relationships with students, parents and colleagues so that collaboration is the foundation for all interaction. This is a full-time benefited position.
General responsibilities include:
- Establish a climate of respect and inclusion for each child as an individual and as a member of a classroom community
- Effectively use best practices to design and deliver instruction using well-planned lessons and techniques that actively engage the students’ bodies, minds and hearts
- Utilize the workshop model for teaching reading and writing
- Understand and support developmental benchmarks academically, socially, emotionally and behaviorally
- Maintain a safe, healthy and inviting learning space
- Collaborate with other teachers, both the assistant and other grade-level lead teachers, to plan and implement lessons
- Regularly assess student progress and maintain accurate and comprehensive records
- Work in partnership with parents to develop each student’s skills and confidence as a learner; communicate each student’s growth throughout the year
- Identify and pursue professional opportunities that enhance and extend one’s teaching
- Serve on committees and engage in professional group work
- Participate in all required School functions
- Supervise lunch, recess and carpool, as required
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- A Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification in Elementary Education is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in an elementary education setting preferred
- Ability to meet the needs of diverse learners and support the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction
- Ability to inspire students’ inquisitive thinking and responsible citizenship
- Enthusiasm for professional growth
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. The School is a community of learners committed to seeking and welcoming students, faculty and staff who represent the multicultural community and world in which we live. We believe that the education we offer in our school is greatly enhanced when many traditions, backgrounds, and perspectives are given expression in school activities. We aspire to create an inclusive environment that promotes engaged citizenship and encourages compassionate leadership. Our concept of diversity and multiculturalism is dynamic and serves a vision at Collegiate where all members of the community find in our school a sense of belonging and a supportive place to reach their full potential.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.