Collegiate School seeks a Lighting Director for the 2020-21 school year. The successful candidate will be part of a collaborative team that supports a vibrant Fine Arts program and school community. This position will significantly contribute to the operation of the newly renovated Oates Theater and maintaining its reputation as the premier mid-size theater in Central Virginia. This is a full-time, benefited, eleven-month position.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage all aspects of lighting consoles in each school venue.
- Setup, program and operate lighting for specified school rehearsals, productions and assemblies.
- Working with the Technical Director and Show Director in design layout and needs for productions.
- Basic operation of sound consoles for school events.
- Train and supervise student stagehands by instructing them on the proper techniques in lighting, both during and after school hours.
- Basic video camera operation.
Qualities of a successful candidate will include:
- Bachelor’s degree in theatrical lighting design or related field
- Extensive operational knowledge of various lighting consoles including ETC and High End Systems
- Expertise of operation in theatrical lighting and projection equipment
- Ability to demonstrate the technical aspects of lighting design in order to train students to assist with the technical side of productions
- Preferably the ability to setup and run a sixteen-channel sound console
- Expertise in drafting software such as Vectorworks or AutoCad.
- Proficiency with MS office (Power Point, Excel, and Word)
- Facility with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- The ability to lift 75 pounds
- Sensitivity to the developmental stages and well-being of children
- Ability to execute projects efficiently and according to schedule.
- Work schedule varies and includes evening and weekend hours.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal
- Enthusiasm for professional growth
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. The School is a community of learners committed to seeking and welcoming students, faculty and staff who represent the multicultural community and world in which we live. We believe that the education we offer in our school is greatly enhanced when many traditions, backgrounds, and perspectives are given expression in school activities. We aspire to create an inclusive environment that promotes engaged citizenship and encourages compassionate leadership. Our concept of diversity and multiculturalism is dynamic and serves a vision at Collegiate where all members of the community find in our school a sense of belonging and a supportive place to reach their full potential.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.