|Collegiate Joins Regional Pool Partnership|
A group of Richmond area organizations, including Collegiate, and community leaders have come together to form the Greater Richmond Aquatics Partnership which is building a 50,000-square-foot Aquatics Center at Ukrop Park in Chesterfield County, to open in 2012.
The following is the content of a letter sent to Collegiate families by Head of School Keith Evans:
Almost a year ago, we joined a working group to explore the possibility of expanding swimming opportunities in our area. In the months that followed, this group established the Greater Richmond Aquatics Partnership bringing together Collegiate, Trinity Episcopal School, Poseidon Swimming, Richmond Kickers Youth Soccer and Sports Backers in a collaborative effort to develop a world-class aquatic center in Richmond.
After several months of planning and a thorough feasibility study, the Partnership is ready to begin construction on a 50,000-square-foot facility at Ukrop Park near the intersection of Chippenham Parkway and Route 10. The Center will feature three pools including the 50-meter, eight-lane pool used at the 2008 Olympic trials in Omaha, NE. In addition to this primary competition venue, a 25-yard warm-up pool and a therapy pool will be key supporting elements of the facility. The Center will function as a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization with its own executive director and staff.
This aquatic center will offer several key benefits to Collegiate. First, it will provide a home pool for our swimming program with afternoon practice time and a terrific site for meets and other programs. Second, it will give Collegiate an expanded presence in Chesterfield County both through the aquatic center and expansion of our youth sports programming at Ukrop Park. Finally, because the Center's mission will include outreach to under-served youth with learn-to-swim programs, our students will have a chance to be involved in a unique community service opportunity.
Site preparation is already underway at Ukrop Park, and construction will begin in the coming weeks and will require about 10 months. We are thrilled to be a part of this project and eager for the first Cougar swimmer to make a splash.Aquatics Center Fast Facts
Building Size: 50,000 Square Feet, with a 7,000 square foot mezzanine grandstand
The facility includes:
- Olympic-caliber 50m 8-lane Competition Pool with moveable bulkheads. 25m course includes 22 lanes. This pool was used for the 2008 US Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, where several world records were set!
- 25m 6-lane Multi-Purpose Pool
- Therapy Pool
- Seating in the Competition Pool Area for up to 700 spectators. The primary grandstand provides an elevated vantage over the 50m course for premier viewing of competition.
- Community Room with separate storage
- Indoor Fitness and Exercise Facility
- Future 5,000 square foot Tenant space for Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation.
- Mens and Women’s Locker Rooms
- Lobby with Swim Shop and Concessions
- Staff Offices
- Pool Equipment Storage
- Hundreds of Parking Spaces