Upper School History and Latin Teacher, Beginning 2021-2022 Academic Year
Collegiate School seeks an energetic, experienced and committed teacher with a passion for students, history and Latin. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching upper school age children with proven success in connecting the content to students’ innate inquisitiveness and building their critical thinking and communication skills. Includes responsibility for four sections, including two to three sections of history one to two sections of Latin, and service as a grade level advisor. Must enjoy students across the entire range of grades (9-12) and have the versatility to teach all levels of the Upper School curriculum.
General responsibilities include:
- Creating and executing well-designed, meaningful lesson plans, mindful of best practices of teaching and learning
- Fostering a climate of respect for each child as an individual
- Identifying and pursuing professional opportunities that enhance and extend one’s teaching
- Serving on committees and engaging in professional group work as necessary
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Classics or related field (Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification preferred)
- Experience teaching upper school students with proven mastery in effectively delivering content
- Passion for history education
- Ability to inspire students’ love of learning and critical thinking
- Enthusiasm for professional growth, academic excellence and creative teaching
- Commitment to broad participation in school life
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. The School is a community of learners committed to seeking and welcoming students, faculty and staff who represent the multicultural community and world in which we live. We believe that the education we offer in our school is greatly enhanced when many traditions, backgrounds, and perspectives are given expression in school activities. We aspire to create an inclusive environment that promotes engaged citizenship and encourages compassionate leadership. Our concept of diversity and multiculturalism is dynamic and serves a vision at Collegiate where all members of the community find in our school a sense of belonging and a supportive place to reach their full potential.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.