Middle School Spanish Teacher
Collegiate School seeks an energetic, experienced and committed teacher with a passion for students and teaching Spanish. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching middle school children with proven success in connecting the content to students’ innate inquisitiveness and curiosity. Ideally, candidates will have the versatility to teach Spanish from 5th Grade through 8th Grade, with comfort teaching through Level I. Middle School teachers inspire students’ love of learning by providing a developmentally appropriate environment where students explore, play, discover and flourish. This position will use the curriculum to: encourage the social, physical, emotional and intellectual development of students; enrich the daily experience of each child through creative and innovative activities; and maintain strong relationships with students, parents and colleagues so that collaboration is the foundation for all interaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fostering a climate of respect for each child as an individual in an intentionally inclusive community.
- Creating and executing well-designed, meaningful lesson plans, mindful of best practices of teaching and learning around language fluency and cultural understanding.
- Maintaining a safe, healthy and inviting learning space.
- Collaborating with other teachers to plan and implement lessons.
- Planning and implementing activities that develop self-esteem and social skills.
- Communicating effectively with parents about student progress.
- Participating in professional development opportunities that grow one’s teaching.
- Serving on committees and engaging in professional group work as necessary.
- Supervising lunch, recess, carpool and other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification.
- Demonstrated experience in Middle School Teaching (with a minimum of 3 years).
- Knowledge of current best practices in Middle School Spanish teaching and learning.
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction.
- Ability to inspire students’ love of learning and critical thinking.
- Interest in broad participation in school life and culture.
- Enthusiasm for professional growth and academic excellence.
- Strong commitment to students with varied learning styles.
- Exhibits solid understanding of how data is collected, generated, and used by the School.
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community.
Collegiate School is an independent, JK-12 college preparatory, coeducational school with over 1,600 students in Richmond, VA. The School is a community of learners committed to seeking and welcoming students, faculty and staff who represent the multicultural community and world in which we live. We believe that the education we offer in our school is greatly enhanced when many traditions, backgrounds, and perspectives are given expression in school activities. We aspire to create an inclusive environment that promotes engaged citizenship and encourages compassionate leadership. Our concept of diversity and multiculturalism is dynamic and serves a vision at Collegiate where all members of the community find in our school a sense of belonging and a supportive place to reach their full potential.
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.