Middle School Math Teacher
Collegiate School seeks an energetic, experienced and committed teacher with a passion for students and mathematics. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching middle school age children with proven success in connecting the content to students’ innate inquisitiveness and building their problem-solving skills. Ideally, candidates will have the versatility to teach math from 5th Grade through 8th Grade using the Connected Math Program (CMP) and Collegiate’s self-designed Problem-Based Algebra I and II. This position may also include serving as an advisor to a group of students.
Middle School teachers inspire students’ love of learning by providing a developmentally appropriate environment where students explore, play, discover and flourish. This position will use the curriculum to: encourage the social, physical, emotional and intellectual development of students; enrich the daily experience of each child through creative and innovative activities and maintain strong relationships with students, parents and colleagues so that collaboration is the foundation for all interaction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fostering a climate of respect for each child as an individual in an intentionally inclusive community.
- Creating and executing well-designed, meaningful lesson plans, mindful of best practices of teaching and learning including inquiry-based models.
- Maintaining a safe, healthy and inviting learning space.
- Collaborating with other teachers to plan and implement lessons.
- Planning and implementing activities that develop self-esteem and social skills.
- Communicating effectively with parents about student progress.
- Participating in professional development opportunities that grow one’s teaching.
- Serving on committees and engaging in professional group work as necessary.
- Supervising lunch, recess, carpool and other duties as required.
- Builds strong relationships with students, colleagues and parents by creating a caring and inclusive community in which all members are respected and valued.
- Develops learner-centered opportunities that help students develop into inquisitive thinkers, responsible citizens and compassionate leaders.
- Collaborates with colleagues to design and implement a challenging, relevant and connected curriculum.
- Upholds high expectations for all students and strives to meet the individual needs of each learner, including those with learning differences.
- Implements evidence-based teaching and learning practices and designs a full range of meaningful assessments in which students are regularly asked to demonstrate understanding.
- Explores and integrates a range of resources, including technology, to engage, enhance and extend learning goals.
- Understands the role of social, emotional and physical wellbeing in the teaching and learning process and encourages the development of lifelong healthy behavior patterns.
- Exhibits the characteristics of a lifelong learner and engages in personal and professional development to impact student learning.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree or Virginia teaching certification.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience teaching.
- Demonstrated experience in Middle School Teaching.
- Knowledge of current best practices in Middle School Math instruction.
- Evidence of creativity and passion in classroom instruction.
- Ability to inspire students’ love of learning and critical thinking.
- Interest in broad participation in school life and culture.
- Enthusiasm for professional growth and academic excellence.
- Strong commitment to students with varied learning styles.
- Exhibits solid understanding of how data is collected, generated, and used by the School.
- Experience in and commitment to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community.